WELCOME - We're glad you have stopped by!
Shawnee Town 1929 introduces children to life in a small farm town in the 1920s through engaging, hands-on programs that meet 1st - 5th grade Kansas and Missouri curriculum standards.
School visits are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from Mid-March through May and Mid-September through October.
Click on the program information below and call today to set up your school visit to Shawnee Town 1929.
Two bus subsidies are available. One is through Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area (FFNHA) which will pay 75% of the total cost of bus fare. The other is through the Museum’s Friends of Shawnee Town which will make up the difference up to $75 per bus.
- Visit Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area’s (FFNHA ) Bus on Us web page, http://www.freedomsfrontier.org/pages/Bus_On_Us and fill out the application form before your visit. If you need help, contact Sharron Uhler, Curator of Education, at Shawnee Town firstname.lastname@example.org or (913) 742-6423. All of Shawnee Town’s school programs fit within the “Enduring Struggles for Freedom” for FFNHA. You will need this information when filling out the bus subsidy application.
- To receive the Museum’s Friends of Shawnee Town’s (FOST) bus subsidy, please let us know at the time you phone to make reservations for your field trip. On the day of your trip, you will fill out a simple form letting us know who the check should be made out to and the address where we should send it. FOST will award you $75 for each bus if you do not apply for a subsidy from Freedom’s Frontier. If you do apply, we will pay you the remaining amount up to $75 that FFNHA does not cover. Checks will be mailed within 10 working days after your visit. For more information on the bus subsidy, phone (913) 248-2360.
Shawnee Town Museum - Map It
11501 W 57th Street
Shawnee KS 66203
Phone: (913) 248-2360
- Price: $2.50 per student; $2.50 per accompanying adult; free for teachers and paraprofessionals
- Payment is expected upon arrival. For your convenience, we gladly accept cash, money order, credit card (Visa or Master Card), or check made payable to the City of Shawnee. We can also invoice your school ahead of time on request.
- We require that one adult is present for every 10 children.
- Picnic tables and benches that are surrounded by historic buildings and gardens are available for lunch.
- Shawnee Town 1929 is an outdoor museum with minimal provisions for inclement weather. We encourage students, teachers and parents to dress accordingly.
- Handicapped accessible
- Size limitation - Size limitation – 75 students. If your grade has more, please consider coming on two different days. This seems to work well with schools who have visited us in previous years.
Contact JoJo Palko, Museum Assistant, for reservations (913) 248-2360 or (913) 742-6425 or fill out our on-line reservation form
. You will receive a confirmation letter with information about your field trip. Looking forward to seeing you!